PerformInk is Chicago's entertainment industry trade publication.
Pictured: Leah Morrow
Jump inside the brains of Chicago theater artists as we ask them 10 questions that were in no way inspired by “Inside the Actor’s Studio.”
1) What’s the one role/show you’ve always wanted to work on that you haven’t yet?
I have always wanted to play Sally Bowles in CABARET. Also anything in GYPSY, Miss Honey in MATILDA, and a tapping omelet in SOMETHING ROTTEN (I sent an all-caps, martini induced email to my agent about that one).
2) What current production, besides one of your own, are you most excited about?
The hard part about answering this question is living in Chicago — there’s so much great work to see and appreciate; whether it is comedy, commercial drama, or a storefront concept, our city has so much to offer. If I could, I would see everything. Of the productions I’m aware of, I’d really love to see The Fly Honeys, LEGALLY BLONDE, PETER PAN, and SOUTHERN GOTHIC. I’d also like to see THE BAND’S VISIT and HARRY POTTER in New York.
3) If you couldn’t be in theater, what career would you have chosen?
Maybe teaching something? Maybe nursing? I don’t know — does “Independently Wealthy” count?
4) What quote or saying do people spout but is really complete BS?
“Make America Great Again” — or basically anything touted as Patriotism by our Commander in Chief.
5) What would you name your boat if you had one?
Realistically, I should name my boat Sallie Mae or Great Lakes, or Blue Cross Blue Shield, because that’s where all my money goes. But I’d want to name it something like The Body Electric, or Eleanor Rigboat.
6) What will finally break the internet?
I’m surprised it hasn’t broken yet.
7) What well-known fictional character would be the most boring to meet in real life?
Oh gosh, Daisy Buchanan?
8) What is a play or musical that you cannot stand (CATS is not an acceptable answer)?
WICKED. My spouse loves it, and don’t get me wrong I cried when Elphaba flew, but I find it tiresome.
9) What is a play or musical that you love (CATS is not an acceptable answer)?
THE CHERRY ORCHARD
10) What are you reading, watching or listening to right now?
I love to read, but pregnancy and motherhood have seemingly dulled the synapses in my brain. I’ve had a hard time getting in the mental place to enjoy a book. So currently, I like my Sunday paper and am getting into Audible. I also just finished Season 2 of “The Crown” on Netflix.
Leah Morrow can currently be seen in Mercury Theater Chicago’s AVENUE Q through September 9th. Morrow was nominated for a Jeff Award for the role of Kate Monster in the 2014 Mercury Theater production and since then has gone on to marry fellow actor, Doug Pawlik, and welcomed their first child last November. She has also performed at Drury Lane Oakbrook, The Marriott Theater, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, and other regional houses. She will spend the holiday season in Oz at the Paramount Theater.